Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Valerie Hardcastle, one of the three final candidates interviewing for CSU’s executive vice president/provost position on campus today, said she is a philosopher first and an administrator second.

In an e-mail interview with the Collegian, Hardcastle said before deciding on any changes she’d like to see at the university, she would have to learn the ropes and talk to the CSU community about what they’d like to see.

“I think it is premature to talk about changes at this point,” she said. “There is too much I need to learn first before I can answer this question effectively.”

One thing, she said is certain, is when all parties work collaboratively toward common goals, “we are strongest.” Her core values, she said, are:

• Faculty/staff/student partnerships,
  • Collaborations instead of competitions, and
  • Shared governance.

Fifteen years of her career, Hardcastle said, was spent at Virginia Tech, a fellow land-grant institution. She currently serves as a dean of the McMicken College of Arts and Science at the University of Cincinnati.

“I believe strongly in the missions of service, useful knowledge and access and in my estimation; CSU gets all those things right,” she said.

The McMicken College, Hardcastle said, has the largest enrollment numbers at the UC but said that doesn’t keep it from having “deep ties” with the other colleges. The ability to collaborate with other colleges and build diversity are some of the things she said she thinks CSU is looking for in a provost.

Hardcastle is the second candidate to visit campus and will host an open forum today in the Lory Student Center Cherokee Ballroom. The current interim Executive Vice President/Provost Rick Miranda will be hosting his open forum next month.

The search committee charged with filling the position of provost/executive vice president began the search for a permanent provost in October 2009 and required that candidates have:

• A minimum of five years academic administrative experience,
  • A doctorate degree,
  • Attained rank as a full professor with tenure,
  • Qualifications for the rank of full professor with tenure at a Carnegie research extensive university, and
  • Experience in a comprehensive research university.

Blanche Hughes, vice president of Student Affairs, chairs the provost search committee and said in an interview with the Collegian that a provost needs to be the person who cares about CSU students, in classroom life and in everyday life.

If Hardcastle gets the job, she will be responsible for chairing the Council of Deans, sitting on CSU President Tony Frank’s Cabinet and serving as a non-voting member of the Faculty Council. In addition to attending these meetings, she would oversee more than 150 academic programs.

_Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com. _

*Valerie Hardcastle’s Open Forum: *

• When: today, 3:15 to 4:30 p.m.
  • Where: the Lory Student Center, Cherokee Ballroom

Rick Miranda’s Open Forum:

• When: Feb. 1, 3:15 to 4:30 p.m.