State of the city tonight

Authors: Sara Michael

As Fort Collins enters 2010, the city is faced with surviving one of the worst economic downturns in the nation’s history.

Mayor Doug Hutchinson and City Manager Darin Atteberry will present their State of the City address to Fort Collins tonight. The officials are expected to discuss not only the state of the city’s economy, but the progress made on municipal projects like the Mason Corridor or FortZed.

In last year’s address, Hutchinson said that the biggest upcoming concern for Fort Collins would be the economy. This year, city officials said, that fact has most likely not changed.

“I would take any friendly wager that this year’s focus will be on the economy and city finances,” said council member Kelly Ohlson.

2009 was a year of challenges for Fort Collins, Ohlson said, and 2010 promises to be much of the same. That’s not always the case – often, the city’s focus has been on a specific issue that could be resolved by the year’s end. But with the nation in the thick of its second greatest recession, the city has to stay focused.

“Water doesn’t come on by accident. Lighting, roads, they all take money,” Ohlson said. As always, he said, the council will remain focused on the community.

Fellow city council member Wade Troxell agrees. He expects the trash districting to be another upcoming issue of 2010, as well as the medical marijuana dispensaries.

Concerning CSU, both council members have hearty opinions. Ohlson stated that the previous relationship with CSU was “quite good,” and will continue to improve under President Tony Frank’s leadership.

Troxell, an associate dean of engineering at CSU, values the university’s input on projects such as the Mason Street corridor and technologies like renewable energy and clean water, saying that they “bode well for the city.”

“Fort Collins is a great place to live,” Troxell said, “due to the citizens that choose to live here.”
The address will take place at City Hall on 300 Laporte Ave. at 4 p.m.

Staff writer Sara Michael can be reached at news@collegian.com.