Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU women’s basketball team looks to extend its two game winning streak Saturday afternoon against the New Mexico Lobos.

Following Wednesday night’s thriller in Las Vegas, the Rams sit at 10-7, good for sixth place in the Mountain West Conference.

In beating UNLV, CSU won its second straight road game, which was the first time it had won consecutive contests away from Moby Arena this season.
“It helps us a lot because we haven’t been doing good on the road,” said freshman guard Chantel Kennedy. “Those two wins are big for us.”

During Saturday’s game Kennedy may be sporting a black eye after taking an elbow late in the win at UNLV.
“I was going in for a rebound, and I got elbowed on my way down, and I tried to get the steal at the same time,” she said. “None of it worked out.”

The Rams enter Saturday’s game having lost their past two home match ups after opening the season with six consecutive victories inside Moby Arena.

“Both games were games we could’ve won,” said sophomore forward Kim Mestdagh. “So it puts an extra pressure on us. We’ll use it in a good way. It’ll give us energy.”

Energy has been a big buzzword for coach Kristen Holt’s team thus far, as it has been cited for spurring the team to wins as well as a lack of energy being blamed for losses.

New Mexico has won the last 13 games in the series with CSU’s last victory coming Feb. 5, 2004 in Fort Collins.
“They’re an established team in this conference and have been for many years,” Holt said of the Lobos. “Any time you can beat a New Mexico team, I think that’s a feather in your cap.”

This season the Lobos are 11-6 and have won three out of their last four. Senior guard Amy Beggin is the motor that makes their offense go, leading the team with 13.8 points per game and 62 total assists.

“She really runs that team well,” Holt said. “She’s always a threat, and we’re gonna always have to have somebody on her and to make her life miserable.”

CSU hasn’t won more than two consecutive games this season since winning three straight in late November. A victory tomorrow would give the Rams three consecutive conference victories for the first time since they won four straight in 2001-02.

“We sure want to give the fans at home a win,” Mestdagh said.

Women’s Basketball beat reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.