Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Only police and members of the military will be allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus under the first, unapproved draft of CSU President Tony Frank’s weapons policy released Wednesday.

Though the policy now prevents valid permit holders from carrying on campus, CSU Chief of Police Wendy Rich-Goldschmidt was given the authority to approve requests of exemption.

People requesting the right to carry a concealed weapon must provide legal documentation of a “specific and serious ongoing threat or court-ordered protection,” said CSU spokesperson Brad Bohlander.

The draft also suggests that any campus visitor who fails to comply with the policy will “be subject to all legal penalties, including criminal trespass provisions,” which, Sen. Greg Brophy, Republican, D-1, said will be difficult to accomplish.

“There’s a long reach between charging someone with something and convicting them,” he said, adding that if a lawsuit is filed against a valid permit holder, he said he thinks the university would lose.

While legal action against a permit holder is an option, Bohlander said, a policy violator faces a range of disciplinary action.

“It’s not our intent to be aggressive about this,” he said.

Last year, the Associated Students of CSU passed a resolution supporting concealed carry on campus, and despite the overwhelming student support, Chair of the CSU System Board of Governors Patrick McConathy’s official statement said the decision to ban concealed carry is “reasonable, rational and responsible”

Any policy prohibiting concealed carry on public property, Brophy said, violates state law, which allows concealed carry, unless three specific criteria are met:
1. Constant weapons checks at all buildings in the area where concealed carry is banned,
2. Every person using buildings in the said area must be screened, and
3. Security personnel have to hold the weapons of permit holders while said permit holder is in the restricted building.

Though the BOG and CSU administration recognizes this statue, Colorado law says that the board has overall supervision of its respective institutions and the authority to regulate safety issues on campus –– this includes implementing a weapons policy on campus.

A copy of the draft –– the draft released today may be revised before this time –– will be presented to the BOG on Feb. 23.
University officials are looking for recommendations on how to implement the ban, Bohlander said. CSU is open to feedback from the campus community about the draft until Jan. 29.

A copy of the draft is available at http://safety.colostate.edu.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.