Authors: Kirsten Silveira

With his background in psychology, Robert Sternberg, one of three final candidates for CSU’s provost, said rarely does a leader accomplish anything if he or she begins with a set agenda.

Nonetheless, in regard to Colorado’s higher education woes, Sternberg, who is being interviewed by the CSU community today in a forum open to the public, said he is “about as familiar as an outsider can be” but said if he gets the job, he intends to utilize all available resources and seek new outlets of revenue.

Sternberg, who currently serves as a dean at Tufts University, said he visited CSU in 2005 and was impressed with the university’s reputation for research initiatives.

“I was tremendously impressed with the people I met and with the can-do atmosphere of the campus,” he said.
Not only excited for the challenges he could face if chosen to be the sole academic advisor for CSU, Sternberg said he and his wife love Colorado and can’t wait to hit the ski slopes.

The search committee charged with filling the position of provost / executive vice president began the search for a permanent provost in October 2009 and required that candidates have:

-A minimum of five years academic administrative experience,
-A doctorate degree,
-Attained rank as a full professor with tenure,
-Qualifications for the rank of full professor with tenure at a Carnegie research extensive university, and
-Experience in a comprehensive research university.

The provost is responsible for overseeing the Council of Deans and 150 academic programs on campus. He or she also serves on the President’s Cabinet and as a non-voting member of Faculty Council.

The current Interim-Provost and Executive Vice President Rick Miranda and Valerie Gray Hardcastle from the University of Cincinnati are the two other final candidates.

“All of them have been deans at their respective institutions,” head of the search committee Blanche Hughes said.

A provost needs to care about the students grow both in and out of the classroom and needs to care about the whole academic vision, Hughes said.

“This is a person that works to set that tone,” she said.
_
Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com._