Authors: Lexie Wissler

In the time leading up to and at the start of finals week, students’ stress will likely peak when they find that fifth espresso shot and third energy drink had no effect on their ability to stay awake. Taking this into consideration, CSU offers many resources to quash stress and improve student success during academic crunch time.

University stress relief resources:

Stressbusters: When: Today, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Where: CSU Health Network at the Lory Student Center Stressbusters highlights: Chair massages from 12:10 to 3:10 p.m., safe travel tips and free giveaways including condoms, tea, stress packs and snacks Cost: $5 for a 10-minute chair massage, free stuff while supplies last Web site: http://www.wellness.colostate.edu

Extended facility hours: Dining halls: Next week, the following dining halls are going to be open Monday through Friday at 6 a.m.: Durrell, Allison, Ram’s Horn Express, Ram’s Horn, Braiden and Corbett. Morgan Library: Both this week and finals week, hours are extended: Sunday, 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. and Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Counseling Services: Phone number: (970) 491-6053 Location: Hartshorn Health Services, located west of Morgan Library Web site: http://health.colostate.edu/CounselingServices Hours: Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Stress Management Program: This section of the counseling services links provides individuals with a variety of tools to manage stress, including: relaxation podcasts, yoga tips, quick tips and relaxation and stress relief techniques. In addition, Stress Management Program workshops are offered throughout the semester.

Top 10 tips for managing stress during finals:

Expert: Jenifer Thomas, coordinator of Stress Management Program

Plan ahead, and be prepared. Having too many projects going on at once can lead to confusion, forgetfulness and feeling overwhelmed. Take on projects one at a time and schedule your time to avoid procrastination.

Recognize and accept limits. We can never be perfect. Set realistic and achievable goals.

Play and have some fun. You need to occasionally escape from life’s pressures and have some fun. Find a few enjoyable hobbies or activities that would provide a nice break.

Change your thinking. Be positive. How we feel emotionally often depends on our outlook. Avoid criticizing others and yourself. Focus on the good qualities.

Seek out support. Find a friend, family member or counselor who you can open up to. It can be incredibly helpful to express your thoughts and frustrations to a sympathetic ear.

Get regular exercise. Regular exercise is an important part of stress reduction. It provides a stress relief for our body and improves our cardiovascular fitness in order to handle stress better.

Get a good amount of sleep. Don’t skip out on sleep to study. Stick to a regular sleep schedule and be sure to get enough hours of sleep.

Think about good nutrition. Our body can handle stress much better if it is well nourished. Skip the caffeine and sugar and use good nutrition to maintain energy levels.

Learn a relaxation method. Meditation, relaxation breathing and yoga help us calm our body and refocus our attention away from our worries and concerns.

Prevent the increase of stress. By planning and scheduling regular stress relievers, you can reduce the build-up of stress. Take regular breaks when you study and give yourself some wind down time between studying and sleep.

Staff writer Lexie Wissler can be reached at news@collegian.com.