Authors: Heather Goodrich

Lately, every time I think about graduation, I begin humming “Pomp and Circumstance,” you know, the song that plays during almost every commencement. But after a few notes, my humming involuntarily morphs into “The Imperial March,” Darth Vader’s theme song.

What is this supposed to mean? Is this foreshadowing that there is an antagonist lurking to prey on fresh graduates? Does this mean that I’m not ready to graduate? Or does it mean that I am ready to graduate because I want to analyze everything in my path? Probably the latter.

When I volunteered to write this column, I assumed it would be easy to write, but it isn’t.

My plan was to peck away at the keyboard for 30 minutes and produce a poignant, witty reflection about my three and a half years as an undergraduate, all while staying far from the trite “saying goodbye” to the school routing or the ever-clich� “this is a surreal moment” statement.

However, during my reflection, I’m finding it hard to sum up my CSU experience because I can’t just cram all the memories and all the valuable pieces of information I’ve gleaned in 400 words or less.

But what I can do is thank all of the wonderful and talented people who were part of shaping me into the writer and thinker that I am today. To all of my professors in the English and Journalism and Technical Communication departments: Thank you for teaching me to kill superfluous adverbs and adjectives, to keep digging, to be precise and to always be myself.

I’m not going to say goodbye to CSU because my alma mater will always be a part of me. I am a Ram for life. And I’m not going to state that graduating is surreal when it isn’t. We all knew this day would eventually come. But the one aphorism I will keep is that I will always be myself, no matter what, for it is what I was taught.

Even if that means my paranoid analysis of Darth Vader’s song could somehow foreshadow something bad, it doesn’t really matter because life is good and I’m graduating. Thank you, CSU!

Heather Goodrich is the managing editor of College Avenue magazine and she can be reached at csumag@lamar.colostate.edu.