Authors: Katelyn McNamara

With longtime company veterans facing layoffs due to the economy, it comes as no surprise that soon-to-be college graduates are wary of their future in the slim and grim job market.

For instance, senior journalism major Jenna Lang doesn’t have any job opportunities or interviews lined up for after she graduates this month. However, when asked if she was worried about her future plans, Lang said, “Yes and no.”

“I know that I’ll get a job eventually,” she said, “but I want one now.”

Renee Welch, the assistant director for CSU’s Career Center, said she encourages students to actively search for jobs rather than sending a resumé out to companies in masses. She also suggested that students need to find a way to separate themselves from the larger population of applicants.

“I think that students have a particular challenge in showing off their skills that other students might also have,” Welch said. “You really need to find a way to differentiate yourself from everyone else.”

According to the Collegiate Employment Research Institute, though hiring will eventually increase, it suggests that students maintain and continue practicing their learned skills and continue to build solid professional relationships.

Lang said her ideal job lies somewhere in Denver and hopes that her diverse portfolio will help set her apart from other applicants, allowing her to reach her career goals.

Welch said nowadays students could be competing against recently laid-off professionals with years of experience, so it is crucial for students to figure out all of the skills the job their applying for entails.

Similar to Lang, senior ethnic studies major Areli Ulloa does not have a plan for after graduation, admitting that she’s a bit scared.

However, Ulloa said she is confident her personality and passion will show through during interviews, allowing her to stand apart from other applicants by being herself.

“I’ll just being true to myself and what I’ve learned,” Ulloa said.

Summer Shaffer, the assistant director of Marketing and Guest Experience for the Career Center, said the office is a “remarkable resource for students,” and they should utilize the services they provide: resumé and cover letter critiques, career counseling, workshops, mock interviews and meetings with regional and national employers.

Also, the center offers an online program for current students called Optimal Impression, which provides a step-by-step program for correctly formulating a professional resumé.

“I highly recommend students using that program before they graduate,” Welch said.

Staff writer Katelyn McNamara can be reached at news@collegian.com.