Authors: Johnny Hart

Students, put down the books just for one sec. Or maybe a few seconds, even minutes if you’re a slow reader. You see, all this frivolous cramming and hair-pulling over the stress of finals you’re doing is getting in the way of what’s important this time of year: the holidays. No matter what faith or creed or festival you wish to celebrate, whether it be Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa or whatever, ‘tis the season for giving. And what does giving gifts at this time mean? Commercialism. What better way can we inform you on what quick gifts you can buy at 11 p.m. at Walmart on the eve of whatever holiday you choose to celebrate than to rundown the top 10 albums you shouldn’t pass up. Oh, and by no means are you allowed to buy any Christmas album by Clay Aiken. If you have, you are banned from this article. Shoo.

Albums “Them Crooked Vultures” by Them Crooked Vultures. One part John Paul Jones (Led Zepplin), one part Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters) and one part Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) equals the best supergroup ever. Buy it for your dad and your little brother. “Say Anything” by Say Anything. This is the emo anthem of the year. Should be an interesting follow up to their smash hit album “… Is a Real Boy.” “Full Circle” by Creed. Yes, this should bring me some grief. However, this one’s just for me. I do like Creed, I’m not ashamed and if you deny you weren’t a fan at some point, you’re kidding yourself. “Battle Studies” by John Mayer. This is a new spin on the same old John Mayer. But old John Mayer is pretty darn good. This one might be good for your sister or girlfriend because clearly he’s a hunk. Rawr. “Dear Agony” by Breaking Benjamin. This album doesn’t really break the mold of past Breaking Benjamin albums, but at the very least it’s better than their last. “Yeah Ghost” by Zero 7. This one’s a bit of a wildcard, but this neo-soul style group’s amazing. This one goes to your artsy, weird friends. But first, unwrap it and rip it to your computer.

“Backspacer” by Pearl Jam. They’re not the same band as they were during their heyday, but it’s still a good album. This one goes out to your hippie older brother. “Greatest Hits” by the Foo Fighters. Not many new songs here other than the amazing “Wheel,” but it collects all your favorites from the last decade or so. “Raditude” by Weezer. Classic new Weezer, with silly, love-struck lyrics. Give this to your best friend — or someone who’s fairly musically inclined. “Ocean Eyes” by Owl City. OK, OK … this album is not new this season, but this is an up-and-coming artist that cannot be ignored. This one definitely goes to your little sister. Heed, this list has no order and no distinct weight for each artist. Just because I’m scatter-brained doesn’t mean Weezer is less important that Say Anything. But if you feel so inclined to order them, just go and buy them all because they’re all good choices. Entertainment Editor Johnny Hart can be reached at verve@collegian.com.