Authors: Kirsten Silveira

In an attempt to combat the controversial decision to ban concealed carry on campus, nearly 400 students have signed a petition in support of keeping CSU gun-friendly.

Tim Campbell, the student coordinator of the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners Association, organized the petition with the goal of receiving the support of 1,000 students by Friday.

Students interested in signing the petition can find organizers next to Sweet Sinsations in the Lory Student Center from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The protest comes as a response to the CSU System Board of Governor’s legislation passed last Friday that determined it is in the best interesting of the university to come up with a comprehensive weapon’s policy banning concealed carry, with the details left up to each campus president — Tony Frank at CSU-Fort Collins and Joe Garcia at CSU-Pueblo.

The final policies must be ready for BOG approval by February.

“We want to send a clear message to the administration that they shouldn’t interfere with the fundamental human right of self defense,” Campbell said.

The petition organizers will seek endorsements in the Lory Student Center for the remainder of the week and encourage students to e-mail or call Frank’s office to “respectfully” voice their concerns with banning concealed carry at CSU.

“It’s going to be a tough battle,” he said.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.