Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Somewhere out in cyberspace, most CSU students’ personal information, including their e-mail address, phone number and home address, floats, waiting for anyone with a keyboard to come along and find it.

Luckily for them, that “anyone” is probably the dude with dreadlocks who just found their wallet lying on the floor in the Clark Building.

On the university Web site, CSU’s “Find People” search allows interested individuals to find student information by typing in just part of their name. To the perplexity of some students, it seems many don’t even know the Web site lists their information.

But, while this information might seem like cause for alarm, the university wants to assure students that the information is just a useful tool for students, and for once, we agree wholeheartedly.

Plain and simple, the directory provides a way for students to get in contact with their classmates. Find your future soul mate’s wallet on the sidewalk? The directory could be a Good Samaritan’s matchmaking tool as well.

But it works for professors, too. Once you’ve used that class syllabus as toilet paper, just a few keystrokes unlock the key to your professor’s office information and e-mail address, not to mention office phone number, if prank calls make that final F easier to swallow.

What we’re trying to get at is that the directory is an awfully useful tool for bringing students together and making their lives simpler, and no one should hope that changes much.

On a final note, it’s also endlessly useful for journalism students trying to find more sources.