Authors: Ian Petkash

I agree that John O. Woods is uniquely positioned to discuss the issue of firearms in classrooms as he was at Virginia Tech.

However, I don’t find him positioned to speak on behalf of those licensed to carry concealed, as no one at that university was afforded the basic right to self-defense.

Mr. Hood cites that the survivors of Virginia Tech don’t think that allowing students to be armed would have prevented the tragedy. He then describes the utter chaos of the situation and points out that his peers were face down and that “all (they) could see … were shoes.”

Now, I am not judging the people who had to live through this horrible event, but how in the world can they come up with a logical opinion on the subject if they were laying on the ground hiding?

I can assure you that most of those who take the time to pass the arduous permit process to carry concealed wouldn’t react in the same way as your average college student. Permit holders don’t walk around campus oblivious to the world. They abide tightly to a self-defense mindset of situational awareness.

I assure you that had a student present at Virginia Tech been armed, they would have relied on training and situational preparation to reduce the number of lives lost.

And at the idea of CCW permit holders snapping and losing control because of the stress of finals week I chuckle. Studies show that permit holders are less likely to commit crimes than police officers.

And possibly, just the knowledge that an institution allows its students to defend themselves could save lives by deterring the shooter in these horrific events.

I hope that the CSU Board of Governors are never put into a situation where they have to regret not listening to the wishes of the students.

Ian Petkash

junior

wildlife biology major