Authors: Kirsten Silveira

After CSU’s governing board decided to ban concealed weapons on campus, sparking intense controversy student leaders said Wednesday that there must be a student voting member on the board because its members refuse to listen to students.

To secure that voting member, Associated Students of CSU Director of Legislative Affairs Matt Worthington drafted a resolution that would allow state leaders to appoint a student to vote on the CSU System Board of Governors. The ASCSU Senate moved his resolution to committee Wednesday night.

ASCSU President Dan Gearhart and CSU-Pueblo student government President Steve Titus both currently sit on the BOG as non-voting members.

The movement to have students on the board has been in the works since 1982, Worthington said, but the BOG’s vote Friday to ban concealed carry on campus, despite overwhelming student support to maintain the current policy, sped up the process.

“They didn’t vote against having guns on campus. They voted against having a student voice on campus,” Worthington said.

The new resolution, which is similar to a bill drafted last year in the state House of Representatives that died in committee, says many decisions made by the board are rife with disregard for the desires of the student body and aims to bridge that gap.

Worthington said Rep. Randy Fischer, D-53, and Rep. Sal Pace, D-46, both support the amplification of student voice on the BOG and are pushing the legislation on the state level.

While ASCSU is in a better position with lawmakers this time around, Worthington said, it will be difficult to secure bi-partisan support during an election year because of “how politicized the issue’s become.”

ASCSU’s biggest hurdle will be securing the vote of Gov. Bill Ritter, Worthington said, because he was the main source of opposition last year.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.