Snow started falling in Fort Collins late Saturday evening, blanketing the city in about eight inches of fresh powder by Sunday afternoon.

Snowfall is likely, mainly after 11 p.m. today, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrator’s Web site. Tonight, there is a 20 percent chance of snow before 11 p.m. with a low of -3 degrees.

Temperatures are predicted to rise throughout the week, according to the NOAA, with a high of 41 degrees on Sunday.

Strong winds and reduced visibility are expected as a result of the snowfall and blowing snow, according to the Associated Press. People are advised to be cautious and only travel when necessary to reduce the risk of accidents.

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm watch for Central and East Colorado for Monday night through Wednesday morning, as reported by the AP Sunday afternoon.

The Colorado Department of Transportation Web site reported icy and snowpacked conditions for Interstate-25, I-70, I-76, I-225, US 34 and US 36. US 6 eastbound / westbound between I-70 and CO 119 (mile marker 259 to 259) was closed to traffic due to “severe” conditions.

The 9NEWS Weather Team predicted three to six inches to fall throughout Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins by Sunday evening.