Authors: Ian Mahan

With so many bands these days coming off bland just like the group before, musicians are finding ways to come together like never before. Where can you hear a band that sounds like Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age and Led Zeppelin all in one?

Well, luckily, three musicians from those respectable bands decided they should come together to create a sound unlike any other — which is exactly what they did.

Fronted by Queens of the Stone Age guitarist/vocalist Josh Homme, Them Crooked Vultures features drummer Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) on bass guitar.

The result: Rock music with attitude, seduction and swagger.

The bands self-titled debut opens with “Bandoliers,” a nearly six-minute-long song with a solid drum beat and an infectious guitar riff. Right from the start, listeners can hear the desperation in Homme’s voice — the signature of Queens of the Stone Age.

“Elephants” keeps the song simple, but has a fast-paced tempo. The song showcases Grohl mostly, but Jones is ever present, keeping up with the guitar work that Homme contributes to the track. The song has more time changes than the number of times the Backstreet Boys have attempted a comeback.

“No One Loves Me and Neither Do I” displays the insurmountable creativity that comes from having three musical geniuses collaborate. The song is a mixture of lyrical prowess that only Homme and Grohl could piece together.

However, the problem with superbands is that it’s unpredictable when their respective projects will call them back together. With a band like Them Crooked Vultures, breaking up is as close to a cardinal sin as anyone in the music industry could get.

Whether or not more albums come from the group, “Them Crooked Vultures” goes down as another permanent mark in the rock and roll books for Grohl and Jones, while solidifying Homme’s status in the music industry as a person not to be overlooked.