Authors: Scott Evans

The Faculty Council’s move to eliminate concealed carry at CSU will make campus more dangerous. They wish to deny students, faculty, staff and visitors the right of self-defense afforded under state law.

And in making people defenseless, they invite crime. Concealed carry laws have been shown to reduce crime by introducing the what-if factor that changes the risk-reward equation. Criminals will think twice if they risk being shot when they attack someone.

Perhaps these faculty members do not work late hours and know how poorly lit CSU is. Maybe they think the Campus Police can prevent crime. In truth, law enforcement can usually only sort out the details once an assault happens.

Perhaps the faculty don’t know that a concealed weapons permit requires a thorough criminal background check, and that minor blemishes are grounds for denial, or that the permit is revoked if that person commits a crime.

Perhaps they don’t know that concealed carry requires training and passing a test. Perhaps they don’t know that many concealed permits are issued to women who are being stalked. Or that it is quite possible the person carrying concealed is former military or law enforcement.

Perhaps they have seen all the people carrying concealed weapons. Actually, concealed carry is concealed. Unless you are trained to recognize it, it is next to impossible to spot.

More likely, the Faculty Council simply wants to make an anti-2nd Amendment political statement. Such a gesture makes the campus less safe for everyone, but the ones who bear the brunt of the risk are the students.

They are the ones who leave Morgan Library at midnight, navigate a dark campus and have to travel, often by foot, a significant distance off campus. The fact that some of the students are carrying helps protect all students.