Authors: Joel Hafnor

CSU volleyball came from behind on Saturday evening, and in the process claimed conference supremacy by defeating the BYU Cougars in a five set thriller.

Saturday’s victory gives CSU (22-4, 14-1) and head coach Tom Hilbert their 7th Mountain West championship.

“This is a special group,” said Hilbert. “This is a season I’m going to remember for a long time.”

The Rams found themselves trailing two sets to one, and faced a BYU match-point in the fourth set before ultimately rallying to win.

“We knew what we wanted the outcome to be,” said sophomore outside hitter Kate Steffan. “And we fought for it.”

Outside hitter Danielle Minch led the team with 21 kills, one of five Rams who recorded double digit scoring nights.

BYU stuck with us the whole time,” said Minch. “We stayed composed in our passing game at the end, I think that was the most important part of the match.”

After winning the fourth set, the Rams closed the match behind junior Jacque Davisson’s timely kills.

“Jacque got two huge kills for us at the end of the fifth set to win,” said Hilbert. “She’s just money, she’s done a great job for us this year.”

The Rams finish the regular season with home matches against UNLV on Nov. 21 and New Mexico State on Nov. 28.

With the conference title now secure, Hilbert hopes to rest his players in the final two weeks before the beginning of the NCAA Tournament.

“Rest is going to be critical,” said Hilbert. “Short practices and rest.”