Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Even in the midst of an eight game losing streak and a disappointing 3-8 season, the CSU Rams are still finding time to be thankful for. The Rams took some time Wednesday to have a Thanksgiving type meal and reflect on what the team is grateful for. Here are what a few players and coaches are thankful this holiday season.

Head coach Steve Fairchild

“I try to tell our football team on a weekly basis that we are so darn fortunate to be doing what we are doing. This is the greatest game on the face of the planet. Here we are fortunate enough to be participating in it. None of us are going to be doing this forever. It’s a finite opportunity that I have and these players have and we should be thankful for it.”

Wide Receiver Morton

“I’m thankful for CSU and how good they have been to me. I could have gone to a lesser program. CSU is really good and family oriented. The coaches respect the family atmosphere and the players do to. I’m grateful for being here and all the opportunities I’ve gotten. I’m thankful for everything CSU has done for me and given to me.”

Offensive Lineman Shelly Smith

“I’m thankful just to have a great group of guys around me. It hasn’t been the year we expected, but we still have a great group of guys and I’m happy to be here.”

Eastman Leads the Way

For the third straight practice Rams quarterback Jon Eastman took the majority of reps while normal starter Grant Stucker stayed on the sideline nursing an injury.

Fairchild explained that this will be a big week for Eastman.

“He’s getting more reps so he looks a little more comfortable,” Fairchild said after Wednesday’s practice. “It’s a chance for him to show us what he can do. You sit there and sit there and sit there and then all the sudden you’re going to have an opportunity. It’s not what he does this week; it’s how he’s prepared the entire fall. Now he gets a chance to show us.”

Eastman has gotten playing time in the Rams last three games but has yet to start a game this season. As it stands now, the junior college transfer is expected to start this Friday as CSU host’s their arch rival the Wyoming Cowboys.

Eastman said that he has enjoyed getting the majority of practice reps this week and feels ready.

“I feel a lot more comfortable and confident in what I’m doing on each play,” he said. “It’s good to be yelled at by coaches and good to have them tell me I’m doing some things good. It’s good to watch and that helps, but it’s best to be out there. That’s the best way to learn.”

Kickoff of Friday’s game against the Cowboys is scheduled for 12:06 at Hughes Stadium.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com