Authors: Stephen Meyers

These are the games the CSU basketball team should win, but haven’t in the past.

For the first time in head coach Tim Miles’ tenure at CSU, the Rams defeated a D-II school, taking out Mayville State 79-42 Tuesday night at Moby Arena.

Mayville (4-3), a D-II school from the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, was overmatched in the Rams’ home opener.

Freshman point guard, Dorian Green led the Rams (3-2) with 17 points, forward Andy Ogide added 13 and forward Greg Smith, whose redshirt status was lifted Monday, chipped in 10 points.

“It’s just about time (we beat a D-II school). I’m glad we came out and got this win,” Ogide said.

Using a smothering defense, the Rams overwhelmed the Comets, forcing 17 turnovers and holding the team to a 28 percent shooting percentage.

Defense has been CSU’s main focus in the beginning of the season and head coach Tim Miles said the team is improving.

“I thought with a few exceptions we looked like a basketball team that kind of knew what they were doing,” Miles said.

The freshman, Smith looked like he knew what he was doing on the court in his first game of the season. He filled the stat sheet, accumulating six rebounds, two assists, two blocks and three steals.

“Greg’s a lightning rod for me. He’s got talent, you can see that easily,” Miles said. “He fills up the stat line and he’ll do that on a regular basis.”

Miles was forced to remove the redshirt tag from Smith after announcing Tuesday the team had suspended senior guard Harvey Perry indefinitely, pending improvement of his academic performance.

Smith was up for the challenge of getting off the bench to play.

“It definitely felt better than sitting on the bench. It was a great time and I hope there’s more of this to come,” Smith said.

Marcus Carson led the Comets with 16 points and Alfonzo McNeal added 10. Down 35-13 at halftime, they were the only two players to score for Mayville State.

The Rams were so far ahead, that in the first minute of the second half, Green had more points (14) than the entire Mayville team (13).

Satisfied with the win, Green said the team now needs to continue to improve on both the offensive and defensive ends.

“We’ve still got to improve from now on and that’s the focus,” Green said.

The team now looks ahead to San Francisco (2-2) which they play at Moby on Sunday.