Authors: Collegian Staff Report

After suffering a season ending injury and a 3-9 team record in his final season with the CSU football team, Klint Kubiak was due for some good news Tuesday. He got it.

The safety was selected to play in the 85th East-West Shrine game, an all-star like event for college football players. During the game, the 6-foot-0, 212 pound senior is expected to play in front of scouts from all 32 NFL teams.

He tore his pectoral muscle on Oct. 10 in a Rams loss to the Utah Utes and missed the remainder of the season as a result. The Regis graduate is reportedly healthy and ready to practice for the Shrine game two months after having emergency surgery.

Kubiak enjoyed an impressive career at CSU and was selected as one of five Rams team captains for the 2009 season while posting 48 tackles, one sack and one interception before his injury that ended his college career.

He will join CSU offensive lineman Shelley Smith in representing CSU in the Shrine game, making them the first pair of Rams to play since Bradley Van Pelt and Dexter Wynn in 2003. Both Wynn and Van Pelt were drafted by NFL teams following the contest.

Other prominent CSU alums who have participated in the Shrine game include Gartrell Johnson in 2008, Thurman “Fum” McGraw and Joey Porter.

The 85th East-West Shrine game is scheduled for Jan. 23 at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. MST and will be televised on ESPN2.