The University Center for the Arts will play host to two world-renowned trumpeters this weekend as the Music Department kicks off the annual Rocky Mountain Trumpet Festival.

The three-day event, starting today and running through Sunday, will feature special guests David Hickman and Steven Marx in two concerts, along with multiple seminars, critiques and other performances from CSU professors.

“The festival is the brain- child of Colorado professors wanting to get together and letting students perform to have musical connection with all universities around the state,” said Dan Kuehn, CSU assistant trumpet professor and host of the festival.

Kuehn said the festival affords a special opportunity for student performers to play in front of a panel of professionals to receive feedback about their craft.

“The festival offers not only concerts, but multiple seminars from professionals, instrument and musical company booths and a sort of job fair for the high school students attending,” Kuehn said.

During the concerts, however, students will have the opportunity to play side-by-side with Hickman, Marx and Kuehn, all regarded highly in their profession.

According to a UCA press release, Hickman has performed more than 2,000 solo appearances with more than 500 different orchestras. Also, he is the founder of the highly acclaimed ensemble Summit Brass.

Marx, a professor at the University of Northern Colorado, has won international competitions and is a former Yamaha Young Artist, which according to the Yamaha Web site, “Recognizes outstanding young musicians from the world of classical, jazz and contemporary music.”

According to the release, Marx was awarded first prize in the Mock Orchestra Competition in 2002 and was awarded second place in the National Trumpet Competition.

Marx will perform with the CSU Chamber Orchestra tonight, and Hickman will perform with the CSU Big Band on Saturday. Both shows start at 7:30 p.m at Griffin Concert Hall.

Kuehn will join Steven Marx to perform a special piccolo concerto by composer Aldinoni tonight. In addition, CSU professors will also perform with the orchestras.

These events will span throughout the weekend, and for a schedule of events visit http://www.music.colostate.edu.

For each night’s concerts tickets cost $10 for the public, $5 for CSU students and $1 for youth, ages 2 to 17. A portion of the proceeds benefits the concert directly.

Tickets can be purchased at the CSU Box Office in the Lory Student Center, by phone at (970) 491-4849 or online at http://www.csutix.com

Staff writer Louie Page can be reached at news@collegian.com.