Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Head coach Kristen Holt and the CSU women’s basketball team look to end their two-game road losing streak tonight against the Idaho Vandals in Moscow, Idaho.

“I felt our energy was a lot less than what we’ve had at home,” Holt said over the phone Monday night. “If we play with the same energy we did on Saturday, I feel really good about this game.”

The Rams are coming off of an impressive run in the Coors Rocky Mountain Invitational, winning both games by double digits, culminating in a 67-44 beat down of Delaware in the championship.

“Really the best game I’ve coached since I’ve been in this position,” Holt said. “Our players, the way they played … they did a nice job and were pretty fun to watch.”

Sophomore sensation Kim Mestdagh averaged 23.5 points per game during the tournament and was named MVP, setting her career high in points in consecutive games during the tournament.

“It felt really good because I never won something like that before, and it’s really exciting to get this award,” she said.

Mestdagh is averaging more than 20 points per game despite opposing defenses keying on her.

“I’m pretty confident right now, and I’ll try to do the same thing,” she said. “I just want to win and play a good game, and we’ll see. It’s not my priority having another career high.”

Fellow sophomore Meghan Heimstra was named to the all tournament team.

“It was really fun to get recognized like that,” Heimstra said.

The Vandals enter the game with a 1-5 record, but defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 90-66 in their last contest. Guards Rachele Kloke and Shaena-Lyn Kuehu lead the Idaho offense, averaging a combined 22 points per game. Last season CSU defeated Idaho 69-60 and is 3-3 all time against the Vandals.

In Moscow, however, the Rams are 0-2.

“We need to come out and fight during the first four minutes and have a lot of energy. I think that’s what we were lacking in our last two away games,” Heimstra said.

Women’s basketball beat reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.Rams searching for first road win