Rams out last San Fran

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

After a long week of games from CSU teams, the Rams men’s basketball team saved the most exciting performance for Sunday night.

The Rams (4-2) defeated the San Francisco Dons (2-4) Sunday night in Moby arena prevailing in a double overtime thriller.

Tied at 73-73 the Rams and Dons entered the second over time period, one which CSU would dominate.

Starting with a long three point shot by point guard Dorian Green the Rams embarked on a 16-0 run, putting the game far out of reach of San Francisco. The Dons finally grabbed a basket with 42 seconds left in the game, but it to little to late as the Rams cruised to a hard fought 91-75 win.

CSU head coach Tim Miles credited the Rams offensive explosion in the second overtime period to confidence and said it was nice to win a game like this.

“That’s confidence and the only way to get confidence is to earn it and that’s why you have to win games like this,” the third year CSU coach said. “Tonight was helpful and that’s just one step forward.”

Green, who played all 50 minutes of the game finishing with 17 points and eight assists, said that it wasn’t the Rams offense that won the game.

“The biggest aspect for us in overtime was defensively,” the true freshman said. “If we can do that on a consistent basis we will be alright.”

The Rams came up with two huge defensive stands to get to the second overtime. With 21 seconds left in the first OT, CSU forward Travis Franklin was fouled and hit both free throws tying the game at 73-73.

The Rams clamped down defensively for the remainder of the period, preventing San Francisco from even attempting a game winning shot.

CSU turned in a similar performance getting to the first overtime as Green hit a pair of free throws with 16 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 59-59. CSU’s defense again rose to the challenge of stopping a game winning basket, forcing the Don’s into unmade shots.

Travis Franklin stepped up big for the Rams in place of Andy Ogide, who fouled out early in the fourth quarter, posting a career and team high 24 points, including eight points in the second overtime.
Freshman forward Pierce Hornung also played a significant role while Ogide was on the bench, grabbing 17 rebounds, nine offensively.

With a tough week ahead of the Rams, Franklin explained that this is the type of win that shows just what CSU is becoming.

“We are learning to be winners,” the junior said. “Close games like this we have to pull out. Last year we struggled to pull it out when it was close, but this year I think we are coming along.”

Assistant sports editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com

Score 1 2 OT OT2 F
SFU 25 34 14 2 75
CSU 25 34 14 18 91