I don’t know about you all, but I managed to accidentally embed some of my summer memories on my body this year! Hiking and backpacking can be brutal at times, as I’m sure you know, and it doesn’t help that I can be a major clutz. From hiking 22 miles in a new pair of boots that turned out to be far too small, to swimming in lakes with hidden sharp log appendages, I marked myself with scarred knees and bruised (and oddly mishapen..)toenails.

Stopping for lunch along the Colo. Trail. At this point we were only about ten miles in and my toenails were still in great shape!

oh sweet swimming in backcountry lakes. If you jump in, watch out for hidden log creatures.

Well, despite the freezing weather, it’s really starting to hit me that winter has arrived because all of my summer bruises and scars are fading away. It’s a little sad, I must admit, because these physical reminders bring back good summer memories from Yellowstone to the Colorado Trail. I guess it’s time to officially say it. Goodbye sweet summer hiking season, hello freezing snowboarding season!