Authors: Sara Michaels

Need a roommate? Need a room? Off-Campus Life has the solution for students looking to change their living arrangements for next semester.

Tonight and tomorrow night, OCL is hosting a meet-and-greet event in the Lory Student Center geared toward helping students find compatible roommates and even homes for off-campus living.

Katie Powell, the public relations contact for the event, said that an event like this is typically held a few times each semester, especially at the beginning of each semester when the most people are looking for housing.

“Sometimes, when you get there, it’s like, ‘Oh awkward,’ but once you get talking to people, you find out that ‘Hey, they’re allergic to pets too.’ That’s when it gets good,” Powell said.

The goal, she said, is to get people who have places and people who need places together, get them talking and get people into homes for the upcoming school year.

Powell said that the turnout is usually pretty good, with a fair number of both groups attending, making it a great opportunity to have students meet students.

Reasons for coming to the Roundup vary, she said. Students leaving to study abroad or graduating at the semester may need someone to take the remainder of the lease, and people who just rented a two-bedroom could need another person to fill the space. It is even open for people who just have no idea where to live, she said.

The event is usually successful in pairing roommates, Powell said and most people who come to the event leave with a contract in hand. She said living arrangements made at the Roundup also usually work out well.

“One of my roommates was a complete stranger when I met her. It’s cool to have different perspectives, different opinions,” Lydia Amend, a sophomore liberal arts major, said.

The OCL Web site, http://ocssral.colostate.edu, has a multitude of resources for anyone looking to navigate off-campus life on their own. These include guides to both renting and buying, classes on how to purchase houses intelligently and information for on-campus housing for those upperclassmen who want to escape the dorms but not the campus entirely.