Authors: Kirsten Silveira

By the end of finals week, a university national search committee will recommend a candidate for the position of permanent provost/executive vice president, the chair of the committee said Tuesday.

Over the next week, the committee will begin interviewing potential candidates via video.

“We’re in the process now of narrowing down the 61 candidates,” said Blanche Hughes, the chair of the committee and vice president of Student Affairs.

Normally, when conducting a search of this caliber, candidates would be brought to campus for the interviews, but, Hughes said, this is another way for the university to “save money” in struggling economic times.

The committee, made up of 16 university officials and one student representative, is looking for specific qualities in the future permanent provost that include:

a doctorate in research or academics,

a minimum of five years of academic administrative experience,

has attained the rank of full professor with tenure,

qualifies for the rank of full professor with tenure at a Carnegie research extensive university, and

experience at a comprehensive research university.

The job description includes “preferred” qualities including experience at a land-grant institution, leadership skills, interpersonal skills and experiences with budget overview.

The provost serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet, the chair of the Council of Deans and as an ex officio (non-voting) member of the Faculty Council Executive Committee.

Earlier this month Interim Executive Vice President and Provost Rick Miranda, who took over the position last December, said in October that he would likely apply for the position.

The committee will provide between three and four recommendations at the end of finals week, and the candidates will visit campus at the end of January. During their visits, the university will hold forums that are open to students and faculty, Hughes said.