Making Moby Magic

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

After a long week of games from CSU teams, the Rams men’s basketball team saved the most exciting performance for Sunday night.

The Rams (4-2) defeated the San Francisco Dons (2-4) Sunday night in Moby Arena prevailing 91-75 in a double overtime thriller.

Tied at 73, the Rams and Dons entered the second overtime period, one that CSU would dominate.

Starting with a long three-point shot by point guard Dorian Green, the Rams embarked on a 16-0 run, putting the game far out of reach of San Francisco. The Dons finally grabbed a basket with 42 seconds left in the game, but it was too little too late as the Rams cruised to a hard fought win.

CSU head coach Tim Miles credited the Rams offensive explosion in the second overtime period to confidence and said it was nice to win a game like this.

“That’s confidence, and the only way to get confidence is to earn it, and that’s why you have to win games like this,” the third year CSU coach said. “Tonight was helpful, and that’s just one step forward.”

Green, who played all 50 minutes of the game, finishing with 17 points and eight assists, said it wasn’t the Rams offense that won the game.

“The biggest aspect for us in overtime was defensively,” the true freshman said. “If we can do that on a consistent basis, we will be alright.”

The Rams came up with two huge defensive stands to get to the second overtime. With 21 seconds left in the first OT, CSU forward Travis Franklin was fouled and hit both free throws tying the game at 73-73.

The Rams clamped down defensively for the remainder of the period, preventing San Francisco from even attempting a game winning shot as the clock hit zero.

CSU turned in a similar performance, getting to the first overtime as Green hit a pair of free throws with 16 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 59. CSU’s defense again rose to the challenge of stopping a game-winning basket, forcing the Dons into unmade shots.

Travis Franklin stepped up big for the Rams in place of Andy Ogide, who fouled out early in the second half, posting a career and game high 24 points, including eight points in the second overtime. Franklin only scored 10 points during regulation.

Freshman forward Pierce Hornung also played a significant role while Ogide was on the bench, grabbing 17 rebounds, nine of them offensively.

With a tough week ahead of the Rams, Franklin said this is the type of win that shows just what CSU is becoming.

“We are learning to be winners,” the junior said. “Close games like this we have to pull out. Last year we struggled to pull it out when it was close, but this year I think we are coming along.”