Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Head coach Kristen Holt will lead the CSU women’s basketball team out of the Centennial State for the first time this year when the Rams travel to Valparaiso, Ind. to play the Valparaiso Crusaders on Sunday.

The Rams are looking to bounce back from their first loss of the season, a 68-55 setback against the Denver Pioneers on Wednesday.

Sophomore guard Kim Mestdagh, who scored 17 points in the loss, said afterward, “We just have to refocus and know our points to work on. We’re going to watch film and learn from our game (against Denver). We just really have to start over and leave our last game behind us.”

This will be the third all-time meeting between the Rams and Crusaders, but the first in Valparaiso. The series is tied at one win a piece.

Valparaiso is off to its first 2-0 start since joining Division I basketball in the 1985-1986 season, thanks in large part to the contributions of Betsy Adams. The sophomore guard from Monticello, Ind. is averaging 20.5 points and 3.5 steals a game.

Against DU, CSU shot under 40 percent from the field for the first time this season, which allowed the Pioneers to get back into the game and eventually build a lead.

For the season, Valparaiso is averaging 75 points per game, so the Rams can expect them to score and will have to keep up if they want to come out with a win. But the Crusaders also turn the ball over 19 times a contest, so the Rams can capitalize on Valparaiso’s poor ball security and turn those opportunities into points.

Holt was displeased with her team’s effort at Denver, but expects the Rams to turn it around this Sunday.

“We’re going to bounce back. It’s just there’s a lot of things that Denver exposed that we need to get better at. I think when you don’t have effort, then there’s a lot of things that are going to look bad, and I really feel like when you’re not ready to play, that’s the kind of performance you’re going to have,” she said.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.