Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU women’s basketball team finished their exhibition season 2-0 after defeating the Adams State Grizzlies 84-67 on Friday night.

Sophomore Kim Mestdagh led the Rams with a career-high 30 points on 64 percent shooting. Mestdagh also paced the defensive unit with seven steals in what head coach Kristen Holt called an “overall awesome game.”

Adams State star Vera Jo Bustos opened the contest with a three pointer and scored 14 of her team’s first 20 points, finishing the game with 27.

“No one was happy,” said junior Bonnie Barbee when asked about Bustos’ hot start. “We knew she could shoot.”

As the action progressed and CSU’s defense settled in, Bustos had a hard time getting the ball and appeared frustrated at times, scoring only two points in the final 13 minutes of the first half.

With the game tied at 39, the Rams opened the second half with a three-pointer by Mestdagh, followed by a layup from Zoi Simmons en route to a 12-0 run. The players felt re-energized coming out of the half, which Barbee attributed to the time to “rest and get in the flow of the game.”

The Rams never looked back from there and went on to lead by as many as 17.

CSU played much of the game with only six active players due to injury.

“It is what it is, and there’s not much you can do about it,” Holt said of her lack of reserves, “But we responded well. We’re gonna need to be at full strength for Montana.”

The Rams will face the Montana Grizzlies this Friday for their regular season opener inside Moby Arena. Tip off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Women’s basketball beat reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.