Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU women’s basketball team concludes its exhibition season tonight at Moby Arena against the Grizzlies of Adams State.

Head coach Kristen Holt is excited for this final preseason contest.

“We’ve learned a lot since the last exhibition (against CSU-Pueblo),” Holt said.

Adams State is lead by unanimous preseason All-RMAC guard Vera Jo Bustos. Bustos averaged 17.9 points last season and went on to be named a First Team All-RMAC selection following 2008-2009.

“She is a powerful scorer,” Holt said of Bustos, “But everyone we play has someone who can score, someone who can rebound, someone who can do something special. We’ll just have to limit her ability to catch and shoot.”

As a whole, the Rams are worried about Adams State’s motion offense.

“They’re a great team,” said junior Bonnie Barbie. “We have to be cognizant of screens, Bustos and their slashers. We have to be aware of personnel.”

Even though tonight’s contest is an exhibition, coach Holt is “going out to win.” Due to the friendly nature of the game though, she is planning on experimenting with different personnel combinations to see how the team reacts to a unit.

CSU will only suit up six or seven players due to injuries to Megan Heimstra and others.

“We’re short a lot (of players),” said freshman guard Chantel Kennedy, “We have to get defensive stops and make it easy for ourselves.”

Women’s basketball beat reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.