Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The CSU Rams have two streaks going and, unfortunately, neither are very good.

The Rams (3-6, 0-5 MWC) are currently owners of a six game losing streak, but also have a three-week pattern of losing starting players to season-ending injuries.

First came safety Klint Kubiak three weeks ago, lost to a torn pectoral muscle, followed a week later by linebacker Michael Kawulok, lost two weeks ago to a knee injury.

The latest in the disturbing pattern of injury is tight end Eric Peitz, who went down with a shoulder injury suffered early in CSU’s loss to the Air Force Academy last Saturday.

Filling in during Peitz’s absence is the duo of Adam Seymore and Norman Gee, who stand at 6-foot-4, 250 pounds and 6-foot-6, 249 pounds, respectively.

Seymore, a junior, explained that both players are excited to see more playing time, but said he’s sorry it’s happening the way it is.

“You work hard all year and you prepare for something like this in case it does happen,” he said. “Unfortunately it happened to (Peitz), and we’re both ready to step up.”

Even though Seymore and Gee have yet to make a catch this season, tight ends coach Marc Lubick has little doubt the pair will fit in the Rams offense nicely.

“I’m very confident they will step in and rise to the challenge,” he said. “They have both played quite a bit of football the past couple of years. This is there chance and a good opportunity to show what they can do.”

CSU quarterback Grant Stucker admitted to having a nice chemistry with Peitz, but said he doesn’t see that diminishing with either of his newest targets.

Peitz proved to be a valuable asset for the Rams in the red zone early in the season, becoming a go-to target for Stucker, producing three touchdowns as a result.

Stucker has been able to get reps with all the tight ends throughout the season and said he believes Seymore and Gee can pick up right where Peitz left off.

“One thing that every good football team needs is depth,” the senior said. “We’ve been able to rep those guys in and out the past couple of weeks. I still just have just as much confidence, and you have to have that mind set going into any game. Otherwise things go down hill.”

The opportunity for increased playing time is especially meaningful to Gee, who only has three regular season games left at CSU.

A senior, Gee said he plans on making the most of his time left with the green and gold.

“It’s nice to have the opportunity; unfortunately it comes at the hands of somebody getting hurt,” Gee said. “I’ll try and do the best I can and make the most of it.”

Injury Update

CSU nickelback cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson was held out of Tuesday’s practice. The junior roamed the sidelines wearing a red jersey and a fitted boot on his right leg.

Defensive tackle Ty Whittier was also dressed in red for the Rams, but was able to practice.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.