Authors: Johnny Hart

CSU faculty and students will have the opportunity this week to mingle with professionals in their field as the University Center for the Arts will play host to the Rocky Mountain Contemporary Music Festival, running today through Wednesday.

The festival, which according to a university press release “has been an excellent opportunity for CSU faculty and students to work first hand with high caliber composers,” will feature two concerts and a lecture by this year’s featured artist-in-residence Michael Daugherty.

An American composer, Daugherty is known for composing pieces related to American culture, the release said.

The two concerts will feature works by Daugherty and will be performed at the Wind Ensemble and Faculty Chamber Music Concert tonight and the University Symphony Orchestra and Faculty Chamber Music Concert Wednesday. Both concerts start at 7:30 p.m. and will be in the Griffin Concert Hall at the UCA.

Daugherty’s lecture will begin at 11 a.m. today in the Organ Recital Hall at the UCA.

Tickets are $10 for the public, $5 for students and $1 for youth ages 2 to 17. They are available at the Campus Box Office located in the Lory Student Center, by phone at (970) 491-4849 or online at http://www.csutix.com.

Entertainment Editor Johnny Hart can be reached at verve@collegian.com