Authors: Madeline Novey

CSU received fewer doses of the H1N1 vaccination than anticipated last week after Larimer County experienced a shortfall in its primary shipments.

The County had expected 12,000 doses of the vaccine but received a total of 2,000 last week, Jane Viste, the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment spokesperson, said.

CSU’s Health Network obtained 100 doses of the vaccine Oct. 23 and another 100 Oct. 27, all of which were administered to people in high priority groups — as determined by the Centers for Disease Control.

“(We got) way less vaccines than anticipated,” Lisa Duggan, CSU’s Health Network infection control nurse said, adding the amount received is dependent on how many doses the County has each week.

“This is a bigger problem,” she said. “I think that manufacturers are not able to ship as many vaccines as they thought they would.”

The CDC “can only produce as many as it can” Viste said, which in turn affects the number shipped to the County.

The Health Network first notified all pregnant women who signed up to receive an e-mail from the university upon delivery of the initial vaccine shipments, Duggan, said.

Parents of children between six months and four years who registered for the notification service will receive an e-mail Monday, Duggan said.

The date of the next shipment arrival is “tentative,” Duggan said.

She was hopeful, however, that the “wave” of H1N1 virus cases reported among students is waning. On Friday, 216 students had reported active cases of the flu — the lowest number recorded since Sept. 13.

“I would like to attribute (the decrease) to the fact that this may finally be waning,” Duggan said. “I would like to think that this wave is starting to diminish, but we don’t know right now.”

News Managing Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.