Authors: David Martinez

While children anxiously anticipate the banquet of candy they find trick-or-treating on Halloween, many don’t anticipate the dangers of walking the suburbs at night.

“Children are four times more likely to be hit by an automobile on Halloween night than any other night of the year,” said Katie Bakes, director of Denver Emergency Center for Children. “Every year, we see children injured while trick-or-treating, and they are usually injuries that can be easily prevented.”

Along with safety concerns, the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center receives calls every year from parents concerned with their children receiving questionable candy. With candy that looks rewrapped, faded or torn, the rule of thumb is use common sense and when in doubt, throw it out.

However, both the Fort Collins Police and the RMPDC say Halloween has become safer in recent years. They attribute prior planning and preparation to the lack of problems.

“Glow stick issues are actually the biggest problem,” said Mary Hilko, RMPDC public education coordinator, laughing.

Hilko said children generally get in trouble when they start biting and playing with their glow sticks. She suggests washing the contents of the glow stick off the skin with soap and water and to rinse eyes if it makes contact with the eyes.

Because glow sticks aren’t really toxic, Hilko suggests drinking four ounces of milk if the glow stick contents are ingested.

Staff writer David Martinez can be reached at news@collegian.com.