Authors: Madeline Novey

CSU will close at 2 p.m. today due to the snow storm, university spokesperson Emily Wilmsen said in an e-mail to the Collegian.

Class and all university operations are suspended based on forcast for continued heavy snow.

The university has closed all areas of CSU’s historic Oval to pedestrians and vehicle traffic earlier today, citing safety issues related to the snow.

Worried that the branches from the Oval’s trees, some of which are almost a century old, would break and fall under the weight of Wednesday’s snow,the CSU Police Department and Facilities Management and Environmental Health Services Departments advised the closure earlier Wednesday, according to a press release from CSU spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg.

The branches that fell early this morning caused no reported damage to vehicles, just trees, Moellenberg said in a phone interview with the Collegian.

All areas of the Oval closed are marked with caution tape,and people are discouraged from passing the barred areas. Some sidewalks on the Oval are closed.

Oval Drive, the inside of the Oval and surrounding sidewalks will remain closed to pedestrians and vehicles until the “storm has passed and it is deemed safe,” Moellenberg said in the press release.

The CSU communitywas alerted promptly of the closure through an update to the CSU Web site and via the university’s snow hotline ((970) 491-7669)).

The Facilities Management snow removal team is working to clear all areas of campus property including CSU’s streets and parking lots.

Check collegian.com for more updates throughout the day.