Authors: Matt L. Stephens

After taking first place in their first two meets of the year, the CSU swimming and diving team dives straight into Mountain West Conference action this afternoon for a dual against Texas Christian.

Scheduled for 4 p.m., today’s dual against the Horned Frogs will be one of three home meets this season for the Rams and the only one until Jan. 22, 2010 when the Denver Pioneers come to Moby Pool.

All-time, CSU has a head-to-head record of 4-2 against TCU, and CSU head coach John Mattos is excited to get the conference started early.

“It’s a big week,” Mattos said. “I’m glad it’s not the start to our season and we have had a chance to get a little bit of experience. Not a lot, but a little bit of experience gives us a chance to, I think, better race when we come into our dual meet Thursday and Saturday.”

The Rams head to the Air Force Academy on Saturday for a quad dual against the Falcons, New Mexico and San Diego State.

Facing a Horned Frogs squad that has participated in only one meet in which they placed second, Mattos is hoping that CSU can find a good combination of swimmers today.

To win meets, Mattos said the team must remain competitive in everything.

“Hopefully there will be no glaring weaknesses,” he said. “We hope to have our share of one, twos. That gives us a little bit more of an advantage going into the next event against the opposing team.”

The relay teams will get CSU off to a good start if the individual swimmers can handle the pressure and ultimately lead to a strong finish to set the tone for the following meet, Mattos said.

“We are still looking at combinations of athletes: Who is going to be our best Medley Relay, who is going to be involved in our Freestyle relays and how those are going to work against the competition that we go against.”

Sports Editor Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegien.com.