Authors: Ian Bezek

A protest held Tuesday evening that began at the steps of CSU’s Administration Building featured a variety of speakers arguing that U.S. policy toward illegal immigration is flawed.

The protesters missed an obvious but essential point — alien residents of America lack the fundamental rights of U.S. citizens — which rendered the whole event meaningless. For clarification, let’s look at a comment by Michael Brydge, a senior anthropology major, who was quoted in Tuesday’s Collegian saying, “I know people who would love to fight for our country but don’t speak up because they’re scared of being deported.”

Notice the problem here? I’ll put it simply: If you aren’t an American citizen (or a legal resident with a green card), as a soldier, you aren’t fighting for “our country.” If a person is willing to commit a misdemeanor to simply enter my country, why should I trust their loyalty on the battlefield? The military has a sworn oath to uphold the Constitution — a non-American doesn’t understand the gravity of that duty.

If you are in America illegally, you have no natural right to serve in our military, attend our schools or use our hospitals. Out of the goodness of our hearts, we usually allow illegal residents to use our schools and hospitals. We choose. We have no obligation to do so.

The DREAM Act, which the first guest speaker Kim Baker-Medina, spoke in favor of, would allow illegal immigrants’ children to be able to earn permanent residency and then attend college or serve in our military if they meet a certain number of conditions.

Baker-Medina, an immigration lawyer, told numerous stories about teenagers who were deported but who could have stayed if the DREAM Act was passed. From Baker-Medina’s tone of voice, it was clear this was supposed to make us listeners either sad or upset. I, instead, was pleased. The immigration system did its job.

A sign at the rally said, “Change the system, don’t blame the victim.” Are you serious? Really? A person illegally breaks into our country and then dares to call himself “the victim” because we don’t let him attend our university. Say it ain’t so.

I overheard a protester at the rally who said it was too hard to immigrate legally, thus, I guess, justifying illegal immigration. Tell that to a European or Asian, who are legally allowed to immigrate to the United States far less frequently than Central Americans according to data from the 2000 U.S. census.

People all across the world would illegally immigrate to America, but an ocean keeps out nearly everyone except Central Americans and the stray Canadian. Should we allow more Hispanic immigrants to come here illegally than any other ethnicity because of a quirk of geography? Of course not.

If you aren’t an American, and you want to move here, follow American law and fill out the paperwork properly. If you don’t, we can and will deport you. You aren’t a unique snowflake worthy of our special consideration; we have rules for a reason and if you can’t follow them, go back to your country of origin. It’s that simple.

The funny thing about the protest was how irrelevant the whole thing was — as an attendee, it was merely to figure out what exactly the protesters were rallying for, as we mostly heard only vague platitudes about “comprehensive immigration reform.”

If the protesters’ only goal was to pass the DREAM Act, their rally is nearly meaningless in the grand scheme of things, as the DREAM Act would affect fewer than 20,000 children a year, according to analysis from The Urban Institute.

If the protesters’ goal is to use the DREAM Act as a stepping-stone to enact unlimited amnesty for illegal aliens, and they succeed, they will cripple America as well, as our nation will quickly morph into the same sort of failed banana republic the illegal migrants just deserted.

It’s no surprise that California, the state most overrun with illegal aliens, is also the state closest to utter economic ruin as it has been dragged down by the weight of millions of illegal residents who pay no tax but voraciously consume expensive social services.

The march Tuesday evening ended at Congresswoman Betsy Markey’s office. I urge her to ignore the unfounded complaints of these protesters and instead focus on the concerns of her constituents: real Americans who are legal residents that pay taxes and are eligible to vote.

Editorials Editor Ian Bezek is a senior economics major. His column regularly appears on Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.