Authors: Scherer Robyn

It’s a snowy October day on an open range, and a group of cowboys must work together to bring in their herd of cattle. They help each other, support each other and stand by each other’s sides. They ride for the brand. But what does this mean?

Let’s set this in modern day. I’m walking across campus, and I stop to take in the scenery around me. That’s when it hits me. It’s like a slap in the face.

See, there is one thing about me that you should know. I bleed green and gold. All day. Every day. And one thing that really frustrates me about this campus is the lack of school pride and the loyalty.

I’m slapped by a buffalo, staring at me from a fellow student’s shirt. In case you didn’t know, our mascot is a ram. And this isn’t the only incorrect mascot I see. I see shirts for several other universities over the course of only a few minutes.

What is going on? I thought I was on the CSU campus. Then it dawns on me. There is no loyalty in the world today. People aren’t loyal to the teams they play for, their schools and sometimes not even to own their family and friends.

It takes every fiber of my being to stay where I am and not go over and hit these fellow students over the head with a book and scream, “What are you thinking?”

I realize you may love that Duke sweatshirt you got in high school. That’s great. However, the CSU campus is not the place for you to wear that.

I’ll admit I do have some gear from other schools that I’ve been given as gifts from family. I occasionally wear it around the house and might wear it out if I’m out of Fort Collins. But if I’m on campus, you will never see me wearing another school’s gear. Ever.

And you shouldn’t either. There are thousands of people every year who get rejected from this university and don’t have the opportunity to say what you get to. I am a CSU Ram.

Look at the Rockies a couple of years ago. They were so close to winning the World Series, and had everyone on the team stayed, they may have had the opportunity to repeat the following season.

After that wonderful Rocktober, it seems like half the team left. They found better deals, which made them more money. Where is the loyalty? I used to think Brett Favre had that kind of loyalty. We all know how that turned out.

I consider myself spoiled at this university because I am part of the College of Agriculture. This college instills real school spirit from the moment the students step on campus. Fellow students teach Ag students the fight song and most have it memorized before they even start class.

I’ve had teachers give us extra credit for writing the fight song on an exam. I’ve had classes where we sing the fight song on Friday before the game and the Monday after. I wear my colors with pride.

Today and this weekend, during Homecoming, is your chance to step it up. I want to see you out in all your CSU gear. Support your fellow students and alumni. Go to the parade. Brave the weather on Saturday and cheer on the Rams against Utah.

Now let’s go back to our story at the beginning, of these cowboys. I still haven’t explained what it means to ride for the brand. See, cattle are branded so a rancher and his hands know which cattle are his.

So I ask you, whose brand will you ride for? Will it be for the green and gold? If it’s not, you should reconsider staying at this institution.

Robyn Scherer is a senior animal sciences major. Her column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.