Authors: Tomtas Justyna

As part of CSU’s 22nd annual Cans Around the Oval event, today CSU students, faculty and community members will be building structures out of donated cans of food for CANstruction.

CANstruction, sponsored by Student Leadership Involvement and Community Engagement, helps raise awareness about the increasing problem of hunger in the Fort Collins community and provides a visual illustration of the quantity of canned food raised by the event.

CANstruction will take place in the Sculpture Garden, west of the Lory Student Center, from 1:30 to 5 p.m. Here, 15 groups will bring the cans they collected and compete in building structures throughout the day.

Kellie Lemmel, senior public relations major and member of SLiCE, said each group will bring in 2,000 to 3,000 pounds of food to build their structures with.

Last year, CANstruction alone raised between 10,000 to 12,000 pounds of food for the Food Bank of Larimer County, with a grand total for the Cans Around the Oval event of nearly 109,000 pounds of food.

With the number of people depending on the food bank increasing, the Food Bank of Larimer County is now in greater need of food and monetary donations.

Heather Buoniconti, Food Bank of Larimer County development director, said in an earlier interview, that the food bank distributes 2,000 pounds of food daily and that Cans Around the Oval, known as the largest community food drive in Larimer County, will help stock the food bank for several months.

Lemmel said that with several more teams participating in CANstruction this year, the hope is that more food will be collected.

Judging for CANstruction takes place over the weekend and structures will be voted on with monetary donations. All proceeds are given to the Food Bank of Larimer County. As for the competitors, different prizes will be awarded to the top teams.

“It’s really fun to go out and see what these teams are building,” Matt Garamone, a junior technical journalism major said. “Some of the structures are amazing and it’s great to see all the hard work put into them. And for a good cause, too.”

Lemmel encourages everyone to come to the event.

“It’s really fun to have everyone come out,” Lemmel said. “It’s a good chance to get involved with the community and its members.”

Staff writer Justyna Tomtas can be reached at news@collegian.com.