Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Student government passed a resolution Wednesday night, which aims to gather student input regarding a Faculty Council decision that could tighten students’ rights to carry concealed weapons on campus.

The resolution, which passed unanimously without formal committee review by the Associated Students of CSU, was significantly amended from its original form, which would have supported the current policy allowing anyone with a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

The amended resolution calls for the university to maintain it’s current weapons policy until there is a transparent discussion between students and administration to seek common ground.

Senators David Ambrose, Cooper Anderson and Alex Higgins have been working on the legislation for three weeks and said that they expected the bill to be “contentious” when it was presented to Senate.

“I would have preferred to go with the bigger resolution but I think this is better for the integrity of our organization,” Anderson said.

University spokesperson Brad Bohlander said CSU President Tony Frank asked the Public Safety Team late last month to delve deeper into the issue and labor over the research before making any recommendations to administration.

“No decisions have been made,” Bohlander said.

Matt Watkins, a junior civil engineering major, said students who have cleared all the legal hurtles to obtain a permit should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon on campus.

“Yeah, it’s a school, but it’s a constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon if you have the right permits,” Watkins said.

CSU graduate Kelly Horgan, who works on campus, disagreed and said that while she understands that people with the necessary permits have the right to carry concealed weapons, they should not be allowed on campus.

“I don’t know what purpose they’d serve on campus,” Horgan said, adding she doesn’t imagine a situation on campus that would call for “that drastic of means for self-protection.”

Dan Gearhart, ASCSU president, said the organization has not had enough time to talk to students and said all ASCSU is asking for is time to “get a taste for what students want.”

“What this resolution is really doing is buying us time,” Ambrose said.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.