Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Student government unanimously passed a legislative measure encouraging academic departments to submit applications for textbooks on time as the percentage of on-time submissions fell to 27.2 percent this year.

The decrease in on-time submissions — down from 41.7 percent last fall — cost the total student population more than half a million dollars.

Conrad Miller, director of Academic Affairs for the Associated Students of CSU, said that he doesn’t think professors are consciously trying to raise textbook prices, but rather, the uncertainty surrounding whether or not a course will be offered drives the issue.

“The possibility of course cancellation accounts for roughly 5 percent of delayed orders,” Miller said.

The Senate passed similar legislation twice in past years and conducted a campaign last year, which encouraged students to post letters on their professor’s doors asking them to submit textbook orders on time.

Conor Bodaken, a senior restaurant and resort management major, said he was surprised to hear that late submission of textbook orders was behind the $100 to $200 increases in his textbook fees every semester.

“(The departments) have a deadline, and they need to stick to it,” Bodaken said.

Faculty Council Chair Richard Eykholt and the CSU Bookstore both endorse the resolution.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.