Authors: Anna Baldwin

The largest symphony to ever perform at CSU will take the stage Thursday and Friday night at 7:30 p.m.

The University Symphony Orchestra will take the stage for the first time this semester, featuring horn professor Matthew Scheffelman as the featured soloist with the ensemble.

The symphony will play three pieces in the Griffin Concert Hall at the University Center for the Arts under the direction of Director of Orchestras Wes Kenney.

Both evenings will begin with “Route 66” by iconoclast Michael Daugherty. He will also be the artist-in-residence during the Rocky Mountain Contemporary Music Festival on Nov. 2 and 3.

“It’s jazzy, bluesy, driving — no pun intended — and a great treat for the audience,” Kenney said about Daugherty’s piece in an e-mail to the Collegian.

Scheffelman will lend his expertise while performing the Atterberg Horn Concerto by Swedish composer Kurt Atterberg.

He said he’s excited to play the three-movement concerto in his fourth year of teaching private applied horn lessons at CSU.

“It’s like movie music, very emotional and compassionate,” said Scheffelman about Atterberg’s piece. “It’s exciting. It really moves the audience.”

As an international soloist, chamber musician and orchestral player prior to his teaching post, Scheffelman taught for the National Conservatory of Music in the Dominican Republic and was solo horn and section leader with the National Symphony of the Dominican Republic.

While living in the New York City area, he performed with many orchestras, ballet groups, modern music ensembles and chamber ensembles. Also, he performed in an Oakland, Calif. youth orchestra conducted by Kenney.

Scheffelman currently sits as principal horn of the Colorado Springs Philharmonic and First Horn of the Colorado Ballet Orchestra.

The evenings will conclude with Symphonie Fantastique by Romantic-period artist Hector Berlioz.

Tickets are $10 for the public and $5 for students and $1 for youth ages 2 through 17. Tickets are available from the Campus Box Office in the Lory Student Center, by phone at (970) 491-4849 or online at http://www.csutix.com.

Staff writer Anna Baldwin can be reached at verve@collegian.com.