Authors: Seth Anthony

When I first arrived in Fort Collins, it was a shock to see a college campus so overwhelmingly white. Coming from my undergraduate institution, where I routinely mingled with students from a range of races and backgrounds, I found myself often startled, at the end of the day, that I hadn’t even spoken to someone who wasn’t white./

These experiences are an indicator that CSU doesn’t have the diversity that many students and faculty rightly expect.

Josh argues, and rightly so, that diversity is measured in more than just race and gender and includes sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, age and family background. But when was the last time you saw the CSU officials bragging about the proportion of non-heterosexual, Muslim or working-class students attending?/

The very fact that CSU doesn’t often cite statistics on these kinds of diversity is a strong indicator that these factors either aren’t measured — and therefore apparently aren’t highly valued — or that we haven’t made substantial progress on these fronts.

As further evidence, consider the membership of the Diversity Task Force, announced last week to “assess and enhance the university’s diversity efforts.” If CSU placed high value on the experiences or inputs of diverse student populations on this task force, they would have included more than two white, male political science undergraduates to represent students./

We’ve come a long way in recent decades toward creating a meaningfully diverse campus community. But in many ways, CSU still has a long way to go.

Seth Anthony is a chemistry graduate student. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.