With the estimated number of CSU students infected with the H1N1 virus up to about 60, according to reports from university health experts Wednesday, we have something to say to you, CSU, and it starkly contrasts your mothers’ stern words when you asked to stay home from school with a sniffling nose and raspy cough: Don’t go to school if you think you’re sick.

If you are suffering from the following symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue, and in some cases, diarrhea and vomiting, as found on the Centers for Disease Control’s Web site, skip your 8 a.m. class and either report your symptoms to RamWeb or head to the nearest doctor. And if you don’t want to take our advice, the CDC agrees with us.

If you are not currently experiencing any of those symptoms and are convinced, or have confirmed with a highly trained medical expert, that you are not infected with the H1N1 virus, please remember all of the things your teacher taught you in Kindergarten to keep from spreading germs:

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze AND throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

Wash your hands often with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand cleaners if available.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, and

Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

With that, stay home sick CSU, for all of our sake.