Authors: Keith Robertson

The Colorado State volleyball team has been the most successful of CSU’s athletic programs in recent years and this season they continued to dominate their competition as they finished the season 23-7. The Rams started off hot, losing only one of their first 17 games.

Head coach Tom Hilbert described the year as “fast and furious,” since the first half went by so quickly and they faced tough conference competition late in the year. The Rams still finished 12-4 against MWC teams, earned second place in the conference and their 14th consecutive invitation to the NCAA Tournament.

“It’s just a great streak,” Hilbert said. “It’s been a great ride and I think it’s just a testament to the respect we get nationally.”

The Rams spent the majority of the season in the national rankings.

CSU advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament after beating Florida International 3-1, but fell to the University of Florida on the Gators’ home court to end the season.

The season may not have ended like a fairy tale, but was impressive nonetheless. The Rams never lost at home going 15-0 inside Moby Arena. Looking at the season statistics, one can understand how the team was so dominant.

The Rams played offense and defense with both efficiency and power as they won 60 percent of their first sets, had 288 more kills than their opponents and had 95 more blocks.

“I thought we had a very good season,” Hilbert said. “So many great things happened.”

Great things come when you have great players –/which CSU did. Ram senior Mekana Barnes was named to the senior-level USA volleyball team, as well as the All-Mountain West Conference team with senior Ashley Fornstrom and junior Tessa Nelson.

Staff writer Keith Johnson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.