Authors: Caleb Thorton

Over the course of the last week, most media outlets have been dominated by the recent outbreak of swine flu.

The Collegian set out to find out what CSU students think about the flu, the media coverage and the government’s response thus far.

Matt Costa, a senior business management major, and Glenda Gurley, a senor interior design major, were kind enough to take a couple of minutes out of their day and share their thoughts.

Matt Costa, senior, business management:

Q: How concerned are you about the swine flu?

A: I guess I am not too concerned right now at this point because there have been only a couple of cases in Colorado, and so I am really not too concerned with that.

Q: What do you think about the media’s coverage of swine flu?

A: I think it is about as standard as you would get with any media coverage. I think they might be taking it a little overboard as far as just covering something that might not be as important as other things on the news.

Q: If you had a plan to travel to Mexico, would the swine flu alter that plan?

A: It would in fact, yeah. I would be very concerned. Specifically to travel to Mexico.

Q: What do you think about the government’s response to the situation?

A: I don’t know if I can really say if they have done a really good or bad job. I haven’t heard much about their response.

Q: Is the swine flu making you change the way you live in any significant way?

A: I am being more careful with washing my hands. That is definitely something that I am taking into account. Other than that I really have just been doing what I normally do.

Glenda Gurley, Senior, interior design:

A: Honestly, I am not that concerned. There is always something new coming up and going around and everyone always makes a big deal out of it at first but then it just kind of tapers off after a couple of weeks.

A: I think they are doing a good job reporting and getting the information out to people, especially health information about washing your hands and not drinking out of the same cup as others. But I also think that they are contributing to the pandemic side of things.

Q: What do you think of the government’s response to the situation?

A: I think it’s good that the government is aware of the situation and is taking precautionary measures by sending out the Tamiflu. And I think it’s good that they are also getting the health information to people again, just making people aware thatProxy-Connection: keep-alive

Cache-Control: max-age=0

hey need to not drink after people and wash their hands, which are things that you should be doing every day anyway. So it’s good that they are reminding folks to do those things.

A: I don’t think so. I don’t usually drink after people or eat off the same plate. I’m pretty good about washing my hands always, so I would say that just with all the recent media coverage I am more aware of it especially if I am in a classroom or somewhere where there are a lot of people often.

(I’m) just a little more conscientious of that, but I’m still doing the same things I do every day and just making sure I am washing my hands enough.

Columnist Caleb Thornton can be reached at letters@collegian.com.