Authors: Ashley Robinson

Mountaineer, cross-country ski champion, author, storyteller and all-around adventurer Jamie Clarke is speaking at CSU tonight to relate his adventures atop Mount Everest and to discuss the value of living passionately.

Set to discuss his adventures climbing the more than 29,000-foot-high Everest in Nepal, event coordinators and students agreed that his life experience would serve as an inspiration to others and were excited to hear his tall tales.

“It’s a great opportunity for CSU to get such an A-List speaker,” said Rodney Ley, the director of the Outdoor Adventure Program at CSU. “He seems very real, like he’s actually done everything he talks about, and that’s great.”

Clarke had his first opportunity to climb Everest at 22, and while the team did not reach the summit, Clarke continued to strive for the top. /

And while he has since climbed the mountain three times, he has only reached the summit once, an accomplishment he hopes to repeat on his fourth trek to the top of the highest mountain in world.

Now at the age of 41, according to his Web site, Clarke intends to reach for the peak a fourth time when he leads a team of Everest climbers in 2010./

Hainesbrand, which produces Champion Sportswear, will sponsor Clarke’s climb and plans to exhibit its new fabric and clothing line on the team as they scale the mountain.

Clarke, of Calgary, Alberta, has explored more than 55 countries and has climbed the highest peak on each continent, known as the Seven Summits.

“From his Web site he seems to have a very dry Canadian sense of humor so I’m sure his presentation will be very interesting,” Ley said.

/Clarke has also ridden a camel through the Empty Quarter in Saudi Arabia, one of the most desolate deserts in the world. Clarke and his team are only the second group of people to successfully cross the desert according to his Web site.

Clarke has authored two books as well as producing two documentaries based on his exploration and because of this has created a few fans.

/”I’m really inspired by Jamie Clarke and all the things he has done,” said senior sociology major and mountaineering enthusiast Gary Green. “I’m incredibly excited to be able to meet one of my heroes.”

/Staff writer Ashley Robinson can be reached at news@collegian.com.