Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

After fierce debate, the grade for President Barack Obama’s first 100 days was scattered along the spectrum between C+ and A, with one Incomplete and one Satisfactory.

The Collegian editorial board has concluded that the newly inaugurated president performed “above average,” saluting our commander-in-chief with a B+ for several reasons: his foreign diplomacy, his dealings with Guantanamo and bolstering Americorps.

Overall, Obama changed the view of many throughout the world, turning opinions toward the positive.

Obama has declared that the “United States is not at war with Islam,” opening communication lines to the Middle East.

He has bridged the gap of relations between the U.S. and Latin America, reaching out to leaders like Hugo Chavez from Venezuela and Mexican President Felipe Calderon, along with easing tensions with longtime rival state Cuba.

And speaking of Cuba, Obama’s pledged to move inmates from the detention center in Guantanamo Bay to the U.S., endowing rights to these detainees in line with the Geneva Convention.

As a CSU professor contributed to the creation of the Peace Corps in the 1960s, bolstering Americorps is something very near and dear to our community. And this month Obama increased the number of Americorps workers from 75,000 to 250,000.

Because of these fulfilled promises and actions, Obama makes our grade. But beware Mr. President, although there is room to move up on our scale, there’s also a lot of room to fall.