Authors: Madeline Novey

A 24-year-old CSU student has been jailed on suspicion of sexually assaulting a young Lafayette girl he met on MySpace, authorities said Monday.

Graduate business student Mohammed Alsukairi is being held at the Boulder County Jail in lieu of a $50,000 bail, Sgt. Doug Caven said.

Alsukairi was arrested by the Lafayette Police Department after driving from Fort Collins to Lafayette to meet the girl for a second time. Police collaborated with the girl and her family to stage the visit, authorities said.

Although few details have been released, authorities maintain a crime was committed.

“It was not consensual,” said Cmdr. Mark Battersby, a public information officer for the Lafayette Police Department.

The case started when the girl told the Lafayette Police Department that she met Alsukairi on MySpace and they messaged each other until eventually talking on the phone. After the two decided to meet, Alsukairi picked her up from her home and drove to a parking lot near 111 W. Baseline Rd. where he allegedly sexually assaulted the girl in his sedan.

The girl reported the incident to a middle school counselor on April 3, saying she was sexually assaulted on March 31.

Alsukairi is scheduled for a hearing today at 2 p.m. at the Boulder County Jail courtroom with County Court Judge Care Enichen presiding over the case.

A decision has not been made regarding Alsukairi’s status at CSU, university spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg said in an e-mail, adding that she could not release “specifics about whether or not a student has a history with student conduct.”

CSU too may be restricted in “releasing what, if any, action the university has taken,” she said./

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.