Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s golf team travels to Seaside, Calif., to tee off in the Mountain West Conference championship on the 72-par, 6,011-yard the Bayonet Black Horse Golf Course, starting today.

Competing in the tournament will be all nine of the MWC schools, three of which are ranked among the top 50 schools in the nation.

New Mexico begins the tournament the top MWC school, ranked No. 25, while UNLV sits at No. 29 and TCU is No. 35 in the nation.

“It is anybody’s ballgame at conference,” coach Angie Hopkins said after CSU’s finish in the MountainView Collegiate. “Conference time is the time when teams come out of the blue and perform well.”

The Rams come into the MWC championship off of a season-best finish in the BYU Dixie Classic on March 25 and a seventh place finish in their last tournament appearance, the MountainView Collegiate on March 29.

In the regular season, the Rams have posted seven top tens in their nine tournament appearances.

CSU concluded the regular season over two weeks ago, fourth among the MWC teams in stroke average along with three Ram golfers currently in the top 15 for stroke average in MWC play.

Junior Kasey Claussen leads the Rams with a stroke average of 74.81, which ranks Claussen seventh among the MWC lady golfers.

Ranked 11th is freshman Melissa Martin, averaging 75.85. Her teammate, senior Stefanie Ferguson, is ranked 12th, shooting an average of 76.

The Rams are also fifth in the nation in their par-3 performance, averaging 3.05 strokes per par-3.

Competing in the MWC championship for CSU will be Claussen, Martin, Ferguson, junior Natalie Stone and freshman Brianna Espinoza.

Tee off for the tournament is set for 8:30 MT this morning and will continue until Saturday afternoon. Live stats are available through http://GolfStat.com.

Women’s golf beat reporter Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.